Property was given in January, 1868, to Forrestville Baptist Church. The church may have been organized or constituted in 1867. Originally the church building was located at the corner of Kingston Avenue and Church Street.
The church was relocated in 1881 to donated property at the corner of Calhoun Avenue and Reservation Street. The move to North Broad probably took place in 1885.
It is believed that the following could have been charter members: Miles Reece, James W. Langston, C. William Sproull, A. Trammell, W. W. Brewer, G. J. Dykes, Josephus McKenzie, W. D. Hassell, E. M. Johnson, E. N. McCurry, and F. W. Quarles.
Two ministers, known as elders, who served the church in some of the earliest years were D. J. Moreland (1870) and W. J. King (1871). In 1870 a revival was held in the church; fifty professions of faith were made. Pastor Moreland and the Methodist preacher (Odum) were instrumental in these happenings.
In 1870 the church became a member of the Oostanaula Baptist Association. This association was composed of churches in Floyd County and surrounding counties. In 1871, Pastor W. J. King was on a committee to investigate joining the Georgia Baptist Convention. In 1871, church membership numbered 38.
Between 1889 and 1903, there were six pastors of the church: W. M. Bridges, M. B. Tuggle, J. G. Hunt, J. W. Pullen, A. H. Latimer, and J. F. Culpepper. It is not known who was the pastor during two of those years. Church services were held on the second Sunday of each month. For a short time the Methodist church shared the building until their building was completed.
Traditional Southern Baptist organizations -- Women’s Missionary Union, Sunbeams, and B. Y. P. U. -- became a part of the church program between 1889 and 1903. Two name changes came during this period: North Rome Baptist Church in 1892 and Third Baptist Church in 1893. The Women’s Missionary Union came to the rescue during the church’s money shortage during this period. They bought chairs, paid the electric bill, and added wings to the building in 1903.
In 1893 the church became a founding member of the Floyd County Baptist Association. The church was very active in the association from its very beginning.
From 1904 until 1923, the church had three pastors: C. L. Conn (1904 – 1915), John Wyatt (came in 1916), and Gordon Ezell (came in 1919). Membership climbed to 534, after revivals added 144 members in 1921 and 102 in 1922).
In 1905, the name of the church was changed to North Broad Baptist Church.
The W. M. U. continued to provide for the upkeep of the building by painting the interior, installing carpet, buying door, and adding two Sunday School rooms to the back of the church.
North Broad Singing School1925 Sunday School ClassBaptist Young Men's Brotherhood.
During the years from 1924 to 1951, church membership grew from 534 to 1049. The church boasted of a Standard Sunday School, and 196 people were enrolled in Training Union. In the month of May 1931, the attendance at the Sunday night services averaged 316. Five members were licensed to preach, and at least four were ordained to the ministry. The pastors of the church during this time were Herbert Massey (for five months) and O. E. Rutland.
Girls Auxiliary (G.A.’s) were organized in 1929. North Broad had the distinction of being one of only two churches in the entire country with a Baptist Young Men’s Brotherhood (B. Y. M. B.).
The building was added to on three occasions from 1924 – 1951. Brick was added, changing drastically the look of the church building. Two-story additions were used for space for the Junior and Intermediate Departments and for the pastor’s study. Land was purchased for a pastorium. The pastorium was built in 1940 and paid for in four years.
In 1937 Vacation Bible School was held, probably the first. Brotherhood was organized in 1938. The nursery became available during church services. A library was started. There was even an orchestra for a time.
Reverend and Mrs. Rutland with car given to them by the church upon their retirement in 1951
The years from 1952 to 1974 found the church served by two pastors and an interim pastor. R. W. Tucker came in 1952, followed by Hugh Peacock. Jim Dillard served as interim. Sunday School attendance and church membership dropped during these years, and Training Union was discontinued.
The church voted in 1963 to build a new sanctuary. Property was purchased in North Hills for use as a pastorium. Family night suppers were started. At least four members were ordained to the ministry: Harry D. Trulove, Horace Stewart, Jimmy D. Lewis, and Paul Fowler.
Reverend Jimmy Lewis and Reverend Van Modling
Van Modling became pastor on July 7, 1975. The old church building was torn down, and the new sanctuary was erected and first used on August 15, 1976. FFF was organized for the older members of the congregation. Van Modling resigned effective November 28, 1982. J. E. Dillard served as Interim Pastor.
Bob Moon was called as pastor in June, 1983. The live nativity tradition also was begun in 1983. In 1982 a Long Range Planning Committee had been formed. In 1983 Personnel Policies and Procedures were adopted. During 1984 the "Christian Index" was dropped from the budget; gifts to Cooperative Program were also cut. The church enjoyed a "Celebrating Our Heritage" emphasis during which former pastors and ministers ordained by North Broad were in charge of services. A highlight of 1987 was the Sunday evenings in August when "Meetings on the Riverside" (services along the Coosa River) were attended by members of North Broad Baptist Church, Fifth Avenue Baptist Church, Second Avenue Baptist Church, and First Baptist Church of Rome. Highlights of 1988 were getting a new roof on the sanctuary and placing New International Version Bibles in the pews. Also a WMU Centennial quilt was completed.
Reverend Moon went to serve at North Stuart Baptist Church in Stuart, Florida, after having served North Broad for six years.
In March, 1989, the church instructed the deacon nominating committee to select nominees without regard to gender. The first women deacons were Lorainne Momon and June Selman.
Steve Sheely served as Interim Pastor beginning in September, 1989. Doug Burrell came as pastor in July, 1990. Rev. Burrell served through August 31, 1994. Ryan Forbes served as Minister of Music/Youth while Burrell was pastor. The three-year rotational cycle of missions (international, national, local) was started with a one-week trip to Quarapari, Brazil, where a group of 17 members built a church.
A committee was formed in 1994 to study a possible merger with Fifth Avenue Baptist Church. The merger was defeated by one vote (133 voted to merge, while 134 were needed for the merger to take place). For the international mission trip, 21 volunteers went to London, England in 1994.
Rob Nash served as interim pastor until Greg Pope came in October, 1995. Ryan Forbes’ position was changed to Minister of Music/Associate Pastor. The 1995 mission trip was to Dade County, Florida; 14 persons went. Ryan’s tenth anniversary with the church was noted on June 18, 1995. Ryan’s title was again changed in 1996—to Associate Pastor of Music/Administration.
In 1997, an elevator was installed to service all floors of the educational building. Other renovations also took place. In 1998, William Beaver was ordained to the ministry. William served as Youth Minister and instituted the Community Brunch on October 24, 1998. The 1998 mission trip was to Hobart, Oklahoma.
Dedication of the renovated sanctuary took place on January 10, 1999. Harold Newman’s tenth anniversary as organized was noted in 1999. Becky Hartzog was ordained to the ministry. The bylaws of the church were amended in 1999 to allow persons to join North Broad from another Christian denomination that does not require baptism by immersion, provided that they (1) have confessed Jesus Christ as Lord, and (1) have received full membership into a Christian church through an act of their own (confirmation or baptism).
In 2000, the church adopted a new church covenant and began the tradition of a yearly covenant renewal service. Sunday evening services in February were held with North Rome United Methodist Church. The 2000 mission trip was to Romania.
In 2001, the mission trip was to Blanding, Utah. That year Andrea Dellinger was ordained to the ministry, and she followed William Beaver as Minister of Youth. HHH (Hoops, Help, Heroes) was held one Saturday each month at the church to help neighborhood children who needed tutoring. The 25th anniversary of the use of the new sanctuary was noted on August 19).
In 2002, a new organ was purchased. Also purchased was a 15-passenger mini bus. The resignations of Greg Pope and Ryan Forbes were accepted as these men took positions with other churches. Rob Nash (preaching), Bill Adams (pastoral care), and Steve Sheeley (music) took on interim duties.
In November, 2003, Katrina and Tony Brooks began service as co-pastors of North Broad. The children’s department was renovated. The summer mission trip in 2003 was to Poland.
In 2004, the mission trip was to Washington state. A mission statement for the church was adopted: "A Family of Faith Offering to All the Grace of God Through Jesus Christ." At the annual meeting of the Floyd County Baptist Association, North Broad resigned from the association, ending the 111-year-long relationship. This action was necessitated by the association’s adoption of the Baptist Faith and Message 2000.
In 2005-2006, the space on the third floor of the educational building which is used for youth was renovated. A drama group was begun. The 2006 mission trip to Pearlington, Mississippi, helped in rebuilding needed after Hurricane Katrina.
The 2007 mission trip was a building project in Argentina. A week long Vacation Bible School was held using the "Avalanche Ranch" theme and was attended by approximately 40 children. In September of 2007 the church convened a search team for the purpose of finding a full time minister of music. It is the first search for a full time staff person, besides pastor, since Ryan Forbes was hired.